Bug 307 - look at installing a kan-ban board on top of bugzilla
Summary: look at installing a kan-ban board on top of bugzilla
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Libre-RISC-V Website
Classification: Unclassified
Component: website (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: --- enhancement
Assignee: Alain D D Williams
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2020-05-11 13:28 BST by Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Modified: 2020-06-18 12:04 BST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
NLnet milestone: ---
total budget (EUR) for completion of task and all subtasks: 0
budget (EUR) for this task, excluding subtasks' budget: 0
parent task for budget allocation:
child tasks for budget allocation:
The table of payments (in EUR) for this task; TOML format:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-05-11 13:28:05 BST
example such as this https://github.com/leif81/bzkanban
Comment 1 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-05-11 13:43:28 BST
https://github.com/mozilla/kanbanzilla huge weird mixture of dependencies, nice
concept, far too many dependencies (node, ruby, python - wtf??)
Comment 2 Jock Tanner 2020-05-11 18:52:59 BST
(In reply to Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton from comment #1)
> https://github.com/mozilla/kanbanzilla huge weird mixture of dependencies,
> nice
> concept, far too many dependencies (node, ruby, python - wtf??)

Only Python is a run-time dependency though. Node is needed once to build browser JS, Ruby − for CSS.
Comment 3 Alain D D Williams 2020-05-12 21:56:08 BST
For this to work bugzilla needs to have the REST API option enabled.

Please can you, Luke, enable this or give me appropriate admin rights so that I can do this.

Thanks
Comment 4 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-05-12 22:58:07 BST
done, alain.  however it's not something you enable, it's always there
(rest.cgi)
https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing/nginx.html

this config is *different* from the one in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/bugzilla

i think it might be that the script is always forced to be index.cgi
Comment 5 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-05-12 23:03:35 BST
https://bugs.libre-soc.org/rest.cgi

works (and is returning a "readthedocs" comment)

however https://bugs.libre-soc.org/rest/{anything} 

is not working.

this indicates some sort of error with the nginx location-redirect section
in sites-available/bugzilla

    location /rest {
        rewrite ^/rest/(.*)$ rest.cgi/$1 last;
    }
Comment 6 Alain D D Williams 2020-05-21 22:01:01 BST
Replacing:
rewrite ^/rest/(.*)$ /rest.cgi/$1 last;
by:
rewrite ^/rest/(.*)$ /rest.cgi?$1 last;

is an improvement ... but not the fix.

Going to https://bugs.libre-soc.org/rest/version I now get

{"documentation":"https://bugzilla.readthedocs.org/en/5.0/api/","code":32614,"message":"A REST API resource was not found for 'GET '.","error":true}
Comment 7 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-05-21 22:12:56 BST
this may simply be because it is a POST API.
Comment 8 Cole Poirier 2020-06-12 16:09:34 BST
I think having the kanban board will help centralize our communication/planning for the the source code, but be especially helpful for working on the interfaces and final product specifications as well as with visualizing timelines. I like bugzilla and think it's fit for purpose, but I'd also like to be able to view some of the information on a much more structured (visually) form, and be able to put a lot of the info that's spread across various bug reports and wiki pages into a central interface for a more high-level overhead view of the various tracks of the project. What's the status of this bug report currently Alain? Once it's up and running I'll work on taking the information from wiki pages and mailing list discussions and integrating it into the specs for the interface bugs on bugzilla. Do you (libre-soc devs) think this an action will be useful?
Comment 9 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-06-12 16:39:03 BST
(In reply to Cole Poirier from comment #8)
> I think having the kanban board will help centralize our
> communication/planning for the the source code, but be especially helpful
> for working on the interfaces and final product specifications as well as
> with visualizing timelines.

yes.

> I like bugzilla and think it's fit for purpose,

i like it other than it's centralised (has no option to store its data in a git repository).

> but I'd also like to be able to view some of the information on a much more
> structured (visually) form,

yes me too.  i installed graphviz on the server (xdot) so that dependency graphs now work.

however a kanban board is much superior.

> and be able to put a lot of the info that's
> spread across various bug reports and wiki pages into a central interface
> for a more high-level overhead view of the various tracks of the project.
> What's the status of this bug report currently Alain?

alain sent something a few days ago.  he was able to ascertain that apache2 fastcgi redirection works perfectly, where nginx does not.

rather than waste time working out why i am inclined to recommend a deployment where apache2 operates on port 8080 120.0.0.1 and nginx does a transparent proxy for bugs.libre-soc.org


> Once it's up and
> running I'll work on taking the information from wiki pages and mailing list
> discussions and integrating it into the specs for the interface bugs on
> bugzilla. Do you (libre-soc devs) think this an action will be useful?

yes.

example: not having a visual tracker stops people from appreciating that of the 370 bugs on here, well over 300 of them are specifically assigned to me.
Comment 10 Cole Poirier 2020-06-12 16:54:42 BST
(In reply to Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton from comment #9)
> (In reply to Cole Poirier from comment #8)
> > I like bugzilla and think it's fit for purpose,
> 
> i like it other than it's centralised (has no option to store its data in a
> git repository).

Interesting... What is required for such decentralization? In other words why can't bugzilla be backed by a git data store?
 
> > but I'd also like to be able to view some of the information on a much more
> > structured (visually) form,
> 
> yes me too.  i installed graphviz on the server (xdot) so that dependency
> graphs now work.
> 
> however a kanban board is much superior.

Saw that, it's cool, but not quite as useful as the board as it does not show that >300 of the <400 total bugs are assigned to you... among other things :)

> alain sent something a few days ago.  he was able to ascertain that apache2
> fastcgi redirection works perfectly, where nginx does not.
> 
> rather than waste time working out why i am inclined to recommend a
> deployment where apache2 operates on port 8080 120.0.0.1 and nginx does a
> transparent proxy for bugs.libre-soc.org

Sure, I think apache via nginx is fine. Alain, should the kanban board work after this is done?

> yes.
> 
> example: not having a visual tracker stops people from appreciating that of
> the 370 bugs on here, well over 300 of them are specifically assigned to me.

Indeed. I think we need a space separate from the "libre-riscv website" bugzilla product do discuss the specifics of these organizational matters. Can you please create a new component "Libre-SOC Organizational" for "Product: Libre-SOC's first SoC". Or would it be better to create a new bugzilla 'Product' "Libre-SOC Organization and Planning" like we have "Product Libre-riscv website"?
Comment 11 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-06-12 17:28:15 BST
(In reply to Cole Poirier from comment #10)
> (In reply to Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton from comment #9)
> > (In reply to Cole Poirier from comment #8)
> > > I like bugzilla and think it's fit for purpose,
> > 
> > i like it other than it's centralised (has no option to store its data in a
> > git repository).
> 
> Interesting... What is required for such decentralization? In other words
> why can't bugzilla be backed by a git data store?

probably simply because nobody came up with the idea.  bugseverywhere which does exactly that is not very commonly used.

>  
> > > but I'd also like to be able to view some of the information on a much more
> > > structured (visually) form,
> > 
> > yes me too.  i installed graphviz on the server (xdot) so that dependency
> > graphs now work.
> > 
> > however a kanban board is much superior.
> 
> Saw that, it's cool, but not quite as useful as the board as it does not
> show that >300 of the <400 total bugs are assigned to you... among other
> things :)
> 
> > alain sent something a few days ago.  he was able to ascertain that apache2
> > fastcgi redirection works perfectly, where nginx does not.
> > 
> > rather than waste time working out why i am inclined to recommend a
> > deployment where apache2 operates on port 8080 120.0.0.1 and nginx does a
> > transparent proxy for bugs.libre-soc.org
> 
> Sure, I think apache via nginx is fine. Alain, should the kanban board work
> after this is done?
> 
> > yes.
> > 
> > example: not having a visual tracker stops people from appreciating that of
> > the 370 bugs on here, well over 300 of them are specifically assigned to me.
> 
> Indeed. I think we need a space separate from the "libre-riscv website"

ah ok

> bugzilla product do discuss the specifics of these organizational matters.
> Can you please create a new component "Libre-SOC Organizational" for
> "Product: Libre-SOC's first SoC". Or would it be better to create a new
> bugzilla 'Product' "Libre-SOC Organization and Planning" like we have
> "Product Libre-riscv website"?

yep.  toplevel.
Comment 12 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-06-12 17:41:45 BST
(In reply to Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton from comment #11)
> (In reply to Cole Poirier from comment #10)
> > bugzilla product do discuss the specifics of these organizational matters.
> > Can you please create a new component "Libre-SOC Organizational" for
> > "Product: Libre-SOC's first SoC". Or would it be better to create a new
> > bugzilla 'Product' "Libre-SOC Organization and Planning" like we have
> > "Product Libre-riscv website"?
> 
> yep.  toplevel.

done, default cc is libre-soc-org@libre-soc.org and you are the default assignee, congratulations.
Comment 13 Cole Poirier 2020-06-12 17:58:31 BST
(In reply to Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton from comment #12)
> (In reply to Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton from comment #11)
> > (In reply to Cole Poirier from comment #10)
> > > bugzilla product do discuss the specifics of these organizational matters.
> > > Can you please create a new component "Libre-SOC Organizational" for
> > > "Product: Libre-SOC's first SoC". Or would it be better to create a new
> > > bugzilla 'Product' "Libre-SOC Organization and Planning" like we have
> > > "Product Libre-riscv website"?
> > 
> > yep.  toplevel.
> 
> done, default cc is libre-soc-org@libre-soc.org and you are the default
> assignee, congratulations.

Thank you kindly. I'm looking forward to taking a very active role in the organizational and 'project management' aspects while I slowly improve my technical skills. The most important thing is that I continue to be very diligent - as a take on a 'larger' role, with much more responsibility - in my inviolable obligations under the charter to be transparent and operate based on consensus decision making. It is new responsibility that I am being granted not authority.
Comment 14 Alain D D Williams 2020-06-12 18:05:33 BST
Repost: as reply to email does not appear here:

> > alain sent something a few days ago.  he was able to ascertain that apache2
> > fastcgi redirection works perfectly, where nginx does not.

It could be my inexperience with nginx - but bugzilla documentation had a strong
preference for apache.

> > rather than waste time working out why i am inclined to recommend a
> > deployment where apache2 operates on port 8080 120.0.0.1 and nginx does a
> > transparent proxy for bugs.libre-soc.org

> Sure, I think apache via nginx is fine. Alain, should the kanban board work
> after this is done?

Well - it worked under Apache so I do not see why not.

I tried this under Debian 10 - the current libre-soc machine runs Debian 9 - but
I would be surprised if it made a difference -- famous last words.

I will also point it at the latest version of buzilla that I installed a few
days ago.

First thing is apache on port 8080, get that to work, then worry about proxying.
Comment 15 Cole Poirier 2020-06-12 18:15:53 BST
(In reply to Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton from comment #12)
> (In reply to Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton from comment #11)
> > (In reply to Cole Poirier from comment #10)
> > > bugzilla product do discuss the specifics of these organizational matters.
> > > Can you please create a new component "Libre-SOC Organizational" for
> > > "Product: Libre-SOC's first SoC". Or would it be better to create a new
> > > bugzilla 'Product' "Libre-SOC Organization and Planning" like we have
> > > "Product Libre-riscv website"?
> > 
> > yep.  toplevel.
> 
> done, default cc is libre-soc-org@libre-soc.org and you are the default
> assignee, congratulations.

Is it possible for me to be authorized to create 2nd level components to supplement the "Planning" category? That is, access without needing to be granted full access rights to the database and the whole administrative apparatus of bugzilla?
Comment 16 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-06-12 18:56:09 BST
(In reply to Alain D D Williams from comment #14)

> I will also point it at the latest version of buzilla that I installed a few
> days ago.

excellent.

> First thing is apache on port 8080, get that to work, then worry about
> proxying.

thats a good idea, just run open socket listen 8080:0.0.0.0 for now.
Comment 17 Alain D D Williams 2020-06-17 12:51:38 BST
I have this working on a test machine: dual apache & nginx.

A few problems with login, working on 2 different port numbers and also a bug in the bzkanban javascript (trying to compare string & number with === [in a switch]).


I tried to install apache2-bin (amongst others) and get:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 apache2-bin : Depends: libapr1 (>= 1.6.2) but 1.5.2-5 is to be installed
               Depends: libaprutil1 (>= 1.6.0) but 1.5.4-3 is to be installed
               Depends: libbrotli1 (>= 0.6.0) but it is not installable
               Depends: libcurl4 (>= 7.16.2) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.1) but 1.1.0f-3+deb9u1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.


I need to work out what this means.
Comment 18 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton 2020-06-17 13:23:19 BST
(In reply to Alain D D Williams from comment #17)

> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> 
> 
> I need to work out what this means.

i sorted it out.  "stable" had been added for security updates but not "stable"
itself, to /etc/apt/sources.list.

with libssl1 being in stable/security-updates but apache2 being in stretch,
things could not be resolved.

i have sorted it out.
Comment 19 Alain D D Williams 2020-06-18 10:47:25 BST
This now works ... go to: https://bugs.libre-soc.org:9443/bzkanban/index.html

The last bit was the SSL config - it uses the same certificate as the rest of libre-doc.org

When you go there you will see some drop down selects & search box on the left side top.

Choose a product & milestone (the 2 left most of the 3 - then it will show you something.

You can login (RH side) to get stuff that relates to you. I find, unfortunately, that my browser (firefox) does not recognise this as username/password and so does not remember it.


The whole thing is very slow :-(